Classic Southern Cornbread
Whether cornbread should be sweet can be hotly debated, but everyone can agree that this recipe is sure to please! This classic southern recipe is less sweet than a typical northern cornbread, with a beautiful crumble that makes it perfect with any kind of chili, or as a side to a meal.
- 1-2 tbsp vegetable oil (or bacon fat)
- 1 cup Professor Torbert’s Orange Corn Meal
- 1 cup Professor Torbert’s Orange Corn Flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 1 ½ cups buttermilk (can be replaced with half sour cream, half whole milk)
- 4 tbsp melted butter, room temperature
- 1 egg
Method of Preparation
- Preheat your oven to 400F. Coat your cast iron with a very thin layer of vegetable oil, and place it in your preheating oven to warm up. If using a regular cake pan or muffin tin instead, grease or line the pan/tin, and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the grits, corn flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar.
- In another medium bowl, whisk together your buttermilk, butter, and egg, making sure the egg is well incorporated. If you are using a buttermilk alternative, make sure it has some kind of acidity in it! This is what activates the baking soda to create the fluffiness in the corn bread, so make sure you use buttermilk, sourcream, yogurt, or something else with acidity. If you just use milk, there will not be any acidity, and your cornbread will be less fluffy.
- Wait until your oven is preheated, and take the oiled skillet out of the oven.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients, and mix until well incorporated. This will be a relatively thin batter.
- Pour the batter into the hot cast iron skillet. It will sizzle, giving your cornbread a dark crust along the bottom. If not using a skillet, just transfer your cornbread to the lined or greased cake pan/muffin tin.
- Place the skillet back in the oven, and let the cornbread bake for 15-20 minutes, until the top of the cornbread is golden brown.
- This is best when served immediately, but it can be stored in an airtight plastic bag overnight. Enjoy!