Prep Time: 60 minute | Cook Time: 30 minutes | Total Time: 90 minutes | Yield: Approx. 10 Chicken Tenders
Corn Meal Crusted Chicken Tenders
Corn Meal Crusted Chicken Tenders are perfect for both kids and children-at-heart! Our buttery and nutty corn meal provides a perfectly crisp coating and wonderful flavor.
- 1 ½ lb. chicken tenders
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon deli mustard
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon onions powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup Professor Torbert’s Corn Meal
- Pinch of crush oregano (Optional)
FOR THE HONEY MUSTARD SAUCE
- 1/3 cup mayo
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon deli mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey (more if you like a very sweet sauce)
- Juice ½ lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
Method of Preparation
- Prepare the chicken: In a large bowl, combine buttermilk, mustard, salt, paprika, garlic powder and onion powder. Add the chicken, ensuring all pieces are submerged. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
- Make the honey mustard sauce: In a small bowl, whisk the Dijon mustard, deli mustard, honey and lemon juice until very smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
- Prepare the chicken: In a shallow bowl, combine the cornmeal, salt, pepper, paprika and oregano.
- Remove the chicken tenders from the marinade, getting rid of as much buttermilk as you can. Gently lay one chicken tender onto the cornmeal mixture and press it down, flip it and press the other size down (do not roll the chicken into the mixture, you want to keep the cornmeal as dry as you can) Transfer to a plate. Repeat with the rest of the chicken tenders.
- Cook the chicken: You can cook the chicken three different ways.
- Oven: Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place a wire rack on top and arrange the chicken making sure it is not overlapping. Spray the chicken with cooking spray and bake for 16 minutes. Turn the broiler to high and cook for another 2 more minutes, just enough to make the cornmeal dry and crispy. Let cool for a couple minutes before serving.
- Air Fryer: Spray the Air Fryer basket with cooking spray and arrange the chicken tenders making sure they are not overlapping (you might need to cook the chicken in two batches). Spray the chicken with cooking spray and cook for 10-12 minutes or until cooked through.
- Stove top: In a large skillet, heat about 1” vegetable oil or canola oil on medium heat for a couple of minutes. When the oil is hot enough (you can add a pinch of corn meal to the oil and if it sizzles, it is ready) carefully place a few chicken tenders at a time in the hot oil and cook for about a minute and a half on each side until golden brown and done. Remove from the hot oil and transfer to a plate lined with paper towels. Repeat with the rest of the chicken.
- Serve with honey mustard sauce.
- NOTE: the cooking time will vary depending on the size of the chicken tenders. All chicken must reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees when it’s done.