Cornbread stuffing is the quintessential holiday side dish! Packed with toasted orange cornbread, savory veggies, and a blend of herbs and spices, this stuffing is sure to please all your guests seated around the table this year!
For the cornbread
- 1 ¼ cups Professor Torbert’s Orange Corn Meal
- ¾ cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 stick of butter, divided
For the stuffing
- 1 stick of butter
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 2 large celery stalks, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 tablespoon dry ground sage
- 2 cups chicken stock
- cooking spray
- Salt and pepper to taste
Method of Preparation
- Make the cornbread: (You can make the cornbread a day ahead or the same morning): Preheat oven at 375 degrees. Melt 7 tablespoons of butter on low heat and let it cool slightly. Reserve the other tablespoon to grease a 9” cast iron skillet or baking dish.
- In a large bowl whisk together the cornmeal, flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda. In a separate bowl whisk the milk, buttermilk, and eggs.
- Pour the dry ingredients into wet ingredients along with the melted butter and stir with a wooden spoon until everything is well combined. Pour the batter into prepared skillet and bake for 25 minutes.
- Let the cornbread cool at room temperature before removing from skillet.
- Once the cornbread has cooled make the stuffing: Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Cube the cornbread about ½” in size, transfer to a large bowl and reserve.
- In a skillet, melt the butter on medium low heat and add the diced onion and celery. Cook until very tender and translucent, 5-8 minutes. Add the poultry seasoning, dry sage, and stir until everything is well combined. Add the sicken stock, stir, and remove from the heat. Let it cool slightly.
- Add the veggies and stock mixture to the cubed cornbread and stir until everything is well incorporated. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer the stuffing to the prepared baking dish and cover with aluminum foil. Bake for 20 minutes; remove the foil and bake for another 15 minutes.