Prep Time: 5 minutes | Cook Time: 15 minutes | Total Time: 20 minutes | Yield: 1 quart of batter
This simple beer batter recipe is great for frying anything, from fish to vegetables. It is light, crunchy and full of flavor!
- ¾ cups Professor Torbert’s Orange Corn Meal
- 1 cup Professor Torbert’s Orange Corn Flour
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 12oz bottle of lager or light beer
Method of Preparation
- Heat frying oil to 365°F.
- Mix corn meal, flour, cornstarch and seasonings together in a medium sized bowl. Whisk in beer.
- Use beer batter immediately, keeping batter well mixed. Cornstarch and flour will settle to the bottom unless frequently stirred.
- Dip desired ingredients (fish, vegetables, etc.) in the beer batter, coat evenly, and fry in the oil for about 2 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Sprinkle with salt before serving.