Prep Time: 20 min | Cook Time: 25 min | Total Time: 45 min | Yield: ~70-80 2” cookies | Servings: N/A
Citrus Polenta Cookies
This Italian cookie is a perfect, fresh cookie for any time you want it to feel like summer. With a lovely crunchy, buttery texture, and a hint of citrus, these cookies will disappear in no time!
- 1 ¾ cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup Professor Torbert’s Orange Corn Grits
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 sticks butter, room temperature
- ⅔ cup – 1 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp orange or lemon zest
- 1 whole egg
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla
Method of Preparation
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, grits, and salt, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, use an electric hand-mixer or stand mixer to cream together the softened butter and the sugar. Once it becomes light and fluffy, add the zest.
- Add the egg and egg yolks one at a time, thoroughly mixing it into the butter mixture each time. Add the vanilla and mix until combined.
- Continue to mix and gradually add the dry ingredients. Mix until well combined.
- To get the swirled cookie shape, transfer the dough into a piping bag with a star tip. Pipe the mixture out onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper in small circles, about ¾ inches apart. If the dough is too thick to pipe easily, you can add a small amount of neutral oil, but don’t add too much or your cookies will get greasy. You can also spoon out teaspoons of dough onto a parchment-lined baking sheet for a simpler alternative.
- Bake at 350F for 8-12 minutes, or until the edges of your cookies are golden brown. Allow to cool, and enjoy!