Prep Time: 20 minutes | Cook Time: 40 minutes | Total Time: 1 hour | Yield: 6 servings
Italian Bolognese with Creamy Polenta
Italian Bolognese is an incredibly rich meat sauce with a chicken stock base. This sauce pairs especially well with creamy polenta and our medium-grind grits work perfectly!
- Olive oil
- 1lb ground beef or turkey
- ½ small onion, diced
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1-2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 cups chicken stock
- ¼ cup red wine
- 2 tbsp oregano, rosemary, or basil
- Black pepper
- 1 cup Professor Torbert’s Orange Corn Grits
- 4 cups chicken broth
- ¼ cup heavy cream
Method of Preparation
- Coat the bottom of a medium sized pot in oil and cook the ground beef until done. Drain the meat, move to a bowl and set aside.
- In the same pot, heat up more olive oil and sauté the onion on medium heat. Once it becomes glassy, add the garlic and tomato paste and cook for about a minute. Add the celery and carrots and continue to sauté for another two minutes, making sure nothing begins to burn.
- Pour in chicken stock and wine, and add the ground beef back to the pot. Bring to a boil.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, but do not over-salt, as the sauce still needs to reduce.
- Put a lid on the pot and allow the sauce to simmer for about 40 minutes.
- While the sauce is simmering, bring 4 cups chicken broth to a boil in a medium sized pot. Slowly pour the grits into the broth while continuously whisking. Lower the heat to medium and keep stirring for about a minute. Stirring occasionally, keep cooking for 15-20 minutes.
- Add the heavy cream, and stir until well combined.
- Serve the Bolognese sauce over the creamy polenta.