Prep Time: 3 hr 15 min | Cook Time: 15 min | Total Time: 3 hr 30 min | Yield: 1 Pizza | Servings: 4
Meat-lovers and vegans alike will love this plant-based pizza dough recipe!
- ¾ cup warm water
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp dry yeast
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup Professor Torbert’s Orange Corn Meal (+ more for dusting)
- ¼ cup Professor Torbert’s Orange Corn Flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil (+ more for greasing)
Method of Preparation
- Combine warm water, sugar, and yeast in a bowl and mix. Allow to sit while preparing the other ingredients.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, corn flour, corn meal, and salt. Form a well in the center.
- Pour the yeast mixture into the well and combine with the dry ingredients. This can be done with a stand mixer with a dough-hook attachment, a hand mixer with dough-hook attachments, or with your hands.
- Once the ingredients are combined, slowly stream in the olive oil and mix until well combined. Knead or mix with a dough hook attachment for 7 minutes. Form the dough into a ball.
- Grease the inside of a bowl with a very thin layer of olive oil and place the dough in it. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Allow the dough to rise for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, uncover the dough and punch it down, releasing most of the gas. Allow the dough to recover and double in size. This should take about half an hour.
- After it has doubled, take out the dough and form it into a ball again, and return it to the greased bowl. Allow it to double in size again, about half an hour.
- If you are cooking right away, preheat your oven to 500F. To store, wrap the dough in plastic wrap and store in the fridge for up to 2 days.
- After it has doubled again, gently roll or stretch it out into a baking sheet, pizza sheet, or heated pizza stone dusted with corn meal to prevent sticking. Add your favorite pizza toppings and bake for 8-15 minutes, or until done. For more browning, brush the crust with olive oil or melted butter before baking.