Prep Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes | Cook Time: 20 minutes | Total Time: 1 hour, 40 minutes | Yield: 40-45 fries
Polenta fries are a crunchy and savory treat that can be served as a snack or side dish.
- 2 ½ cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup Professor Torbert’s Orange Corn Grits
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese or grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt + more for sprinkling
Method of Preparation
- In a medium saucepan, bring the vegetable stock to a boil. While boiling, slowly add the grits. Stir constantly, and cook until the polenta becomes thick and starts to pull away from the sides of the saucepan, about 15-20 minutes.
- Stir in the cheese, butter, garlic powder, and salt until fully incorporated.
- On a parchment lined sheet tray, sprayed with non-stick spray, spread the polenta evenly. The polenta should be between ¼ and ½ inch thick. Cover the polenta with plastic wrap, and top with another tray. Press lightly to ensure an even surface.
- Chill for at least an hour.
- Preheat frying oil to 375F.
- Once the polenta has chilled, cut it into long fries with a pizza cutter.
- Fry the polenta fries in batches until golden brown, about 3-5 minutes
- Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with salt.
- Serve with any sauce you like, or on their own.