| Cook Time: 20 minutes | Yield: 4 servings
Taco Grits are easy, delicious, and a healthy meal that’s quick and easy to make. Grits provide a lot of versatility to build your own taco bowl, so be creative, and try your own version!
- ~2 tbsp olive oil, for sauteing
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 jalapeno, de-seeded and diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup Professor Torbert’s Orange Corn Grits
- 2 tbsp butter
- ½ cup shredded cheese
- 1 can black beans, drained
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cilantro, chopped (for garnish, optional)
- Avocado, sliced (for garnish, optional)
- Hot sauce (optional)
Method of Preparation
- In a non-stick pan, heat the olive oil, and sauté the onion, bell pepper, tomato, and jalapeno.
- While the vegetables are sauteing, bring the vegetable stock to a boil in a medium saucepan. Once it boils, turn down the heat and whisk in the grits. Let the grits simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- When the onions are glassy, add the minced garlic, and continue to sauté until the garlic releases its aromatics, about 1-2 minutes. Make sure not to burn the garlic. Set the vegetables aside.
- Once the grits are ready, stir in the butter, cheese, black beans, and spices. Taste the grits and adjust seasonings as necessary. Add the sauteed vegetables and mix thoroughly.
- Pour into a casserole dish and serve with cilantro, avocado, and hot sauce, if desired.